Sunday 28 October 2007

Time to let go...

It was not easy to let go of the lost dog without doing more to help it. It was even more of a challenge for me since I do love dogs and have a few back home, and know how it feels to lose a dog... =(

And yet I was late for the meeting already. And I did check and it didn't have any identification tag on it... I knew it would be quite challenging and much effort would have been required should I insist on helping the poor dog finds its owner...

And so I decided to do the unthinkable... and trusted the dog to God - trusting that God does care for His creation, and that even without my help, He can look after the dog and return it to its owner should He will... After all, God is in control of things... and He can act and will bring about His purposes with or without my help...

I think similar to coming across that lost dog, sometimes in life, we come across people who are in difficult or tricky situations. Sometimes, they are aware of their situations, sometimes they are unaware that they are in a mess, or are creating a mess(!)...

And just like my situation this morning, there are times when we are just unable to help them for one or other reasons... Sometimes, warnings were given and yet unheeded, and it's no longer in our place to say things anymore... Sometimes, they just need to be given a chance to make mistakes and to learn from their mistakes...

And I've found that it requires great trust in God to do that! That it is very challenging and require so much trust in God's loving sovereignty, to be able to let go of people and their situations - into God's hands...

Part of it, is just us being humans, I guess... caring for others and wanting to snatch people out of danger... But another part of it, is also us being humans! Sinful human beings that is - ones who want to be little saviours (both of ourselves and in this case, others)! Somehow, we have this inbuilt conviction that we can set things right and that we just have to do something or else things won't happen!

But we forget that God can do without us!

It is a privilege to be part of His work. It is something that is good and right - given the right time and context.

And yet, I think there are also times, when we need to let go of people and their situations... times to remember that God is the One who is in control... and not just the One in control, but also the One who can be trusted in His loving sovereignty, in His steadfast love - to His creation, and especially to His people...

No comments: