Saturday 19 April 2008

Billy the Brolga... and the new exhibit!


I was out, but went back to take my camera and so missing 3 buses in the process! =(

The bus was extremely slow (!) - guess the driver was being extra responsible and careful - and so I was worried I would miss the 2.15 ferry.

Thankfully, I did make it! =)

However, what I missed to take into consideration, was the length of the queue for the sky safari! Somehow, it was really long today! And then there was one that was really dirty that the whole thing had to be stopped so that the carriage could be cleaned (even though it still wasn't used afterwards).

And so... I reached the top gate at 2.58!!! =( And the bird show starts at 3 pm! And the QBE bird stage is much closer to the lower gate than the top gate!

When I got out of the sky safari, I was contemplating whether I should just follow my usual path - or whether I should run and try to make it to the show - albeit a few minutes late.

Decided for the second one. And so I ran! Ran as fast as I could, going through a shorter path - feeling upset all the way, thinking and wishing that I didn't come back for my camera!

And yet (!), just as I reached the QBE bird stage, guess who was there?!

Billy the Brolga! There! Eating chips that fell into the drain!

Of course he was surrounded by a few keepers who were trying to work out what to do with him next - or how to return him to his "place". But I saw him up close and personal! =D

I was so amazed to see him there that I didn't get a chance to take out my camera and take a picture of him though! =(

But yeah, I was SO happy to see him there! And to be that close to him! =)

Now, I know that most of you who read this won't understand what the big deal was... =) That's ok. =) I'm the main audience of this piece of writing =P But in case you are curious, Billy was supposed to fly down the stage before the show started - to open the show kind of thing. But somehow, today, he didn't! And so it was unusual for him to be there (and for me to get a chance to see him that closely) and it also meant I wasn't late for the show! =) (although somehow, I wouldn't have cared that much even if I was a bit late for the show - or missed something - after that "special meeting"!) Oh, and I got to take a nice pictures of Boo the Barking Owl and Minkar the White Bellied Sea Eagle, too, from the spot where I stood today! =)



God was indeed kind to me! =)

And Great Southern Ocean exhibit has been opened! =) It's new and it's big! Very spacious! And the seals looked very "at home"! =)

Only saw one of the leopard seals, though. There were supposed to be three of them. Although not sure if they are used to being with each other yet, because last time I read on the news, they are still not used to being with each other. They are quite solitary animals.

And you can see the seals from under the water! And one of the seals was especially friendly! Putting up a show for those who were there! =) Pity I missed the seal training and practice sessions! =(

The pelicans were moved though! Although I didn't get a chance to visit the bird sanctuary at the top gate, and so not sure if those are the same pelicans or not. But I don't think they were planning to get new ones, so they must be the same pelicans! Which means, they have been re-housed after living in their old house for such a long time!

And the fiordland penguins were put together with the little penguins! That was a bit strange! Although maybe the keepers and all the animal experts had taken everything into considerations and saw nothing wrong with doing that... Hmmm... It was just a bit strange to see them living together within the same space. In the past, the fiordland penguins used to live together - just the three of them - and it was funny to see how they interacted with each other! =) Anyway, could be that they shared habitat in nature, too... =)

Didn't get to visit many other places. Bought something from the zoo shop for someone's belated bday. Wanted to buy something else for someone else, too, but then I have no excuse to get that present. Just thought he would like it since he has been wanting to visit Taronga Zoo and yet hasn't got a chance! But yeah, he would have to wait for his b'day now, I guess! =) Or he can get it when he finally does get a chance to visit the zoo later! =P

And oh, I learned something new about seal movements today! =) Leopard and Elephant seals swim/move like fish in the water and like caterpillar on the land, while "real" seals are like penguins, they "fly"/"slide" in the water and move using their flippers on the land... I think that was the difference - from memory... =)

And also that fishing hooks are not good for wildlife! And that trashes from the land washed up to the sea are also harmful to animals - because they do either take it as food or something to play with - just like that penguin in Happy Feet!

Anyway, always find a visit to Taronga Zoo refreshing - as it reminds me of the God who looks after His creatures - God who cares for His creation, including these animals! And if He does care for them, how much more does He care for me?! And so I don't need to worry about anything in this world! =) I just have to keep seeking His Kingdom! =) Same message as from Matthew 6, right?! =P

Looking forward to heaven, though, when there will be no more enmity between rest of creations and us humans. When we will no longer be sinful, so we won't harm the animals, and when we will be at perfect peace with nature and with each other - because we are fully "at peace" and in perfect relationship, with God! =)

No comments: