Wednesday 9 April 2008

"Good-night" songs

I think, I'm the type of person who would like to make sure that I get at least a chance to say that I would like to say =) And so, been thinking a bit about my funeral songs for a while... No, not that I think I'm "going soon" or anything - although with God, you never know =)

But yeah, been thinking... especially since I am quite particular about the songs/hymns that I "like"/"prefer" and especially their lyrics.

And so, I have decided to start writing about it and telling people about it. =) Although of course, it would be of no use if Jesus ended up coming back before I die. But then I'm sure I would be too glad to meet Him that I wouldn't care about this plan anymore. =)

Anyway, I do plan to keep adding songs/hymns to my list. =) But so far, I have four hymns on my list:

1. The Rock of Ages

Either or both in English and in Indonesian, I don't mind - depends on where I die, I guess. And depends on who end up attending the service (if someone organises one =)). I want this song/hymn to be played to the tune and in the way that's as close as possible to that same song in Ruth Buchanan's cd - Songs for the Wealthy Beggar. I want that strong and clear drum sound (at the beginning and throughout)! =)

2. My Hope is Built on Nothing Less

Again, either or both in English and Indonesian - depend on those who would be there. =) This one to be sung to the more upbeat music version of the hymn. At the moment, I have in mind the way it's played in the "Passion: Hymns Ancient and Modern" cd. But I don't like the way that song is ended. So just stick to the wordings of the hymn. =) But yeah, again, strong drum sound. I like having clear song beats.

(I know, I know... I will be dead already by that time, right? Still, this might help people appreciate my taste of music =P)

3. The Christian's "Good Night"

English lyrics can be found here: http://cyberhymnal.org/htm/c/g/cgoodnit.htm
Not sure if there is an Indo translation or not... If not - hopefully, I or someone else will be able to come up with one before there is a need for it. =)

I want my funeral/memorial/thanksgiving service to be a joyous occasion, celebrating the fact I finally got to see my Saviour face to face. But yeah, I know it would be hard for the people I'll leave behind (or maybe not =)) so have decided to include some songs (and this is one of them) that would help them to grieve as well...

4. O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing

Again, there are English and Indo lyrics for this. To be sung in its traditional tune - or to avoid confusion - to the tune of Azmon, by Carl G. Gläser, 1828.

I'm still thinking about this last song... It would depend on how soon I'd be called home, I guess... But yeah, somehow, I just want the last song to be a song that proclaims the good news of Jesus - a song that motivates people to not just glorify His name, but also to keep proclaiming His name - cos otherwise, they won't get to see me again later(!) - well, I'm half true, right? (though theologically maybe a bit dodgy =P)


Anyway, this is just my current thinking =) I might change my mind tomorrow or years from now =) Depends on how long God plans to keep me here, I guess =) I don't mind either at the moment. I mean, death is great, I get to meet Christ! =) But yeah, life isn't bad either. I get to serve Him here. =) So, whatever He's planned for me! =)

No comments: