Saturday 16 February 2008

Would you like to meet some of my friends? =)

I've been wanting to introduce you to some of the people who are part of my daily lives in Indonesia, but hadn't really got a chance until now... Well, I have at least 35 whose 'pictures' I want to briefly 'paint' here! =)

Because it seems that I'm making only slow progress, I have decided to just post what I have got written down first and then will update as I get the chance... and introduce more people in separate posts, I mean...

Anyway, here are first 16 of the people I encounter in my daily life back over there, whom I want to introduce to you:

1. Oom Surachman
He is a Raden and a native. My grandpa's friend from a long time ago. He was involved in many of the fights to get our country's independence. He has always been actively involved in Angkatan 45. 82 years old. The man whose Mum just passed away. He has always been very nice to our family. I do believe that my love for books might be related to what he's done for me in the past - taking me to the city's library, and buying me children's magazines weekly. His wife is also very old and sickly. And they are poor. Though they do have kids who look after them, and the country - do look after them to a certain extent. A grandfather figure to me, especially since I lost both of my grandpas quite a while ago.

2. Isah
One of the helpers in the house. She has been working for as long as I can remember, I think - since my childhood days. A very loyal helper. She always cooked nice foods for me when I'm back home! =) Her niece used to work in our house as well - as my brother's babysitter, but then resigned, worked for others, and then went overseas to work. The niece married a useless guy, who wasted the money she sent to look after her family, including school fees for their two sons. And so, Isah's sister (the niece's Mum) often turn to her for help.

3. Ci Dede
The oldest worker at the shop, I think. 'Oldest' in terms of longest working time. =) My parents' right hand person. A very nice person. She has 3 siblings, I think - or maybe cousins - they are closely related anyhow. Her brother used to work for us, too. But no longer. Her sister was married to one of my grandparents' shop workers. She died young, leaving her husband and two (?) very little kids. Her other brother, Ko Elan, used to work at my parents' shop, too. I know him, of course! He used to work for a long while, until he got too sick to work. Yes, their families are not that healthy. At the moment, he can only stay at home. He gets too tired even when he just moves around the house. Ci Dede is the one supporting him and their Dad.

4. Ko Bubun
One of the earliest workers at the shop, too. A Christian, as far as I know. Don't know him that much. But a loyal worker of course, considering he's worked with us for a while...

5. Ko Kholid
Ko Bubun's brother. Another Christian, I think. His son is a Buddhist though - my Mum's Vihara's Sunday School student. So not sure... He used to work at a well known foto lab in our city, until Ko Bubun brought him to work at our place. =)

6. Kang Dedi
Oom Surachman's nephew, I think. Or somehow related to him... A very loyal and responsible worker. Seemed quiet, but can be talkative. One of my parents' most trusted workers - not that others are not trusted. =) On the last night that I was at home, someone left our spare (recently repaired) motorbike in front of the store at the end of the day. He came back to tell my parents and to help us store it in the garage after the rest of the workers went home.

7. Yana
He was still VERY young when he first started working at our shop. He was a very quiet lad and yet VERY dilligent (he still is both quiet and dilligent now), oh, and shy. Now, he is married and his wife is 5 months pregnant. His wife lives with her parents in another city, so he has to travel every weekend to be with her, and to spend time with her - only a day or two per week. It was a happy news for me to hear that his wife is pregnant! =) I mean, that means that their relationship - even though between cities are still quite good (haha, I know some people won't believe I say that, but it's true, though, isn't it? It's good for married couple to maintain their married relationship well)

8. Kang Yadi
He is Yana's older brother. His wife is Yana's older sister. Not sure how come it worked out like that! =) His wife now lives together with him and their two children in my hometown though. She too, used to live with her parents in that other city before they had kids. He is another honest worker. Talks a bit more compared to Yana, and isn't as shy, but equally dilligent. =)

9. Deni
This chap serves as a real life example for me as to why such thing as "missionary dating" doesn't work! This is the story: When he first came to work at our shop, he went for Fr prayer. But then, he stopped going, because he said he was actually a Chr. Then, one day, he asked my parents permission to start going for Fr prayer again (public prayer). When my parents asked him why, wasn't he a Chr? He said he broke up with his Chr girlfriend, and so he was back to his first religion!

10. Anto
A very quiet person. Very hard working. Been very busy lately, esp since Ko Elan fell sick and stopped working. He is a trustworthy worker. Not sure where he is originally from. As in, which part of the country, since I don't think he is from somewhere nearby.

11. Lucy
One of our computer girls. Mum said she doesn't believe in anything, a free thinker, but I hadn't got a chance to talk to her yet... Since she is one of the computer girls, I do not see her that often, because when I helped my parents, I often spend my time at the shop, not inside... =(

12. Lia
Another one of our computer girls. She is apparently the younger of my sis' friend. She had been away (off sick) for a bit when I was there... Latest was diagnosed with Hep A. My parents sent her to another city several times for medical treatment. I think she is better now. She was due to come back to work the week after I left. Heard from mum that she is a pentecostal Christian...

13. Sun-sun
Another computer girl who also goes to the pentecostal church... She is caring and always says Hi when she sees us (me and my sis) back. =) Someone that I wished I had a chance to talk more about her church - just have some questions about some of its 'reputation' etc... Plan for next visit, I guess... =)

14. Anne
I think she is originally from the eastern part of Indonesia, somewhere... but then again, she might have lived in our area for a while... Her sister, Rini, came and worked with us first, and then she came also. Her sister now works in the school shop of a Christian school in our city. Anne, too, is a Christian. I forgot to ask if her husband is a Christian, too, though. Her husband happens to work at my uncle's shop next door. =) I did meet him once, but forgot to ask Anne to introduce him to me...

15. Merry
Merry is about 2 months pregnant. Her husband is Ojon, another worker in my parents' shop. =) They met there. When I said goodbye to her this time, I said to her that I might not see her around the shop anymore next time I go back home, because by then, she would be a stay at home mum... It was sad to say goodbye, even though I know that she would stop working for a good thing, still...

16. Ojon
Merry's husband. Can't remember which one of them started working at our place first. =) He was the one who told my parents about someone who used to work for my parents, Ko Weli. He told my parents how much poverty Ko Weli lives in at the moment. How he couldn't find a job because of his health problem, and so how he and his wife used to eat only once (and sometimes just rice) so that their child can eat. Ko Weli's wife had died now. It was hard enough to read about poverty and all the sufferings caused by it on newspaper... It was much harder when those people affected by those things are people you know personally by names...

These are real people. These, are people I consider friends. Please do think twice before you say anything "smart" / "thoughtful"... These people are real people to me... they are not objects of intellectual discussions of what about those who don't believe in Jesus and what problems we have as a country etc...

This time, I don't want to forget them... This time, I am holding on to my memories of them as long as I can... This time, I want to be in two places for as long as possible... I might be here... But I know I'm not fully back yet... And I'm not so sure I want to be fully back here yet... =)

No comments: