Friday 28 March 2008

Itu gigi kenapa?

The first question he asked me after he saw my smile was: "Itu gigi kenapa?" (What's wrong with your tooth?)

I was surprised!

I was really surprised.

I mean, no one ever really asked me that question before. I guess, it could be that people were just being polite to me. =) Or it could also be that they never really noticed...

Well, for the record - yes, one of my front teeth is dead. I fell and my mouth hit the floor when I was very young and so one of my front teeth is basically dead. That's why the colour's like that. And that's why it's "dark". A sign of 'death'... =)

Not sure that it'll get any darker. It's much darker than when I was first told the tooth's 'dead', but hasn't really changed in the past few years...

Anyway, all these conversations reminded me of two things in the lives of Christians:

1. Just like the dead tooth has become more visible over time , I guess 'dead Christian' (i.e. someone who seem to be one but not really) might not look that different to a real Christian at first. BUT, over time, it will become clearer whether you are actually 'dead' or 'alive' on the inside! =)


2. The gentleman above was able to spot my problem pretty much straight away because he was trained in that field. He knew that something was wrong with my tooth.

I think, like that gentleman, Christians, who are well-trained in their field (i.e. knowledge and love of God), would also be able to spot sins - be it in themselves or others - more clearly, than ones who are not as well-trained... Because with good training in God's Word, we'll grow in our ability to see things His ways, and we'll be able to see sins for what they really are, as God sees them...

Just pray that we'll be given humility and strength to respond in the way that He wants us to respond as well! =)

No comments: